Bookmark Kaumudi Online  Bookmark this site  Editor@Kaumudi  |  Marketing  Print Advt rates  |  Calendar 2012        Go!    
 
 
August 21, Monday 2017 4:32 AM       

       HEADLINES: NIA registers FIR in Kerala’s ‘love jihad’ case                                              Gadgil slams Athirappilly project                                              Three killed after boat overturns in lake                                              Three run over by train in Alappuzha                                              Hashish oil of 20 crore seized in Idukki                                              Indian economy grew fastest under Modi govt: Amit Shah                                              298 Indians granted citizenship in past five years: Pak                                              US school teacher dies while 'laughing too hard'                                              WWII warship USS Indianapolis wreckage found after 72 years                                              Sreesanth reveals why he tucked in towel during IPL                                              Indian spinners restrict Lanka to 216 in Dambulla ODI                                              Kaumudi Facebook
       WORLD Next Article: Syria car bombing kills at least 24 evacuees  
       At least 100 killed in explosion at Syrian evacuation point
 
         Posted on :10:54:07 Apr 16, 2017
   
A A
       Last edited on:10:54:07 Apr 16, 2017
         Tags: 100, killed, explosion, Syria
 

BEIRUT: A stalled population transfer resumed on Saturday after a deadly explosion killed at least 100, including children, government supporters and opposition fighters, at an evacuation point, adding new urgency to the widely criticised operation.

The blast ripped through a bus depot in the al-Rashideen area where thousands of government loyalists evacuated the day before waited restlessly for hours, as opposition fighters guarded the area while negotiators bickered over the completion of the transfer deal.

Only meters away, hundreds of evacuees from pro-rebels areas also loitered in a walled-off parking lot, guarded by government troops. Footage from the scene showed bodies, including those of fighters, lying alongside buses, some of which were charred and others gutted from the blast.

Personal belongings could be seen dangling out of the windows. Fires raged from a number of vehicles as rescuers struggled to put them out.

The scenes were the last in the unyielding bloodshed Syrians are living through. Earlier this month, at least 89 people were killed in a chemical attack as children foaming at the mouth and adults gasping for last breath were also caught on camera.

The bloody mayhem that followed the Saturday attack only deepened the resentment of the transfer criticized as population engineering. It also reflected the chaos surrounding negotiations between the warring parties.

The United Nations did not oversee the transfer deal of the villages of Foua and Kfraya, besieged by the rebels, and Madaya and Zabadani, encircled by the government.

No one claimed responsibility for the attack but pro-government media and the opposition exchanged accusations, each pointing to foreign interference or conspiracies undermining the deal.

State TV al-Ikhbariya said the attack was the result of a car bomb carrying food aid to be delivered to the evacuees in the rebel-held area —ostensibly crisps for the children —and accused rebel groups of carrying it out. A TV broadcaster from the area said: "There can be no life with the terrorist groups."

"I know nothing of my family. I can't find them," said a woman who appeared on al-Ikhbariya, weeping outside the state hospital in Aleppo where the wounded were transported.

 

A rebel spokesman said the car with the bomb had been parked in the area and abandoned. Another spokesman for one of the rebel groups that negotiated the deal said it is scarcely believable that the rebels would target their own fighters in such an attack.

Yasser Abdelatif, a media official for Ahrar al-Sham, said about 30 rebel gunmen were killed in the blast. He accused the government or extremist rebel groups of orchestrating the attack to discredit the opposition.

The Syrian Civil Defense in Aleppo province, also known as the White Helmets, said their volunteers pulled at least 100 bodies from the site of the explosion. White Helmets member Ibrahim Alhaj said the 100 fatalities documented by the rescuers included many children and women, as well as fighters.

Syrian state media said at least 39 were killed, including children. The opposition Syrian Observatory for Human Rights put the death toll at 43, adding that it would likely rise because of the extensive damage.

A A
       WORLD
Next Article: Syria car bombing kills at least 24 evacuees
 
 
WORLD HEADLINES
WWII warship USS Indianapolis wreckage found after 72 years  
US school teacher dies while 'laughing too hard'  
298 Indians granted citizenship in past five years: Pak  
Spain: 'Level 4' threat alert post Barcelona terror attack  
Charlottesville violence: Donald Trump's arts council quits  
Afghanistan celebrates 98 years of Independence  
14 dead in twin attacks as Spanish police launch manhunt  
Samurai sword attack at Taipei's Presidential Office  
Japan backs India on Doklam issue  
Barcelona terror attack: local media says at least 13 dead  
US designates Hizbul Mujahideen as foreign terrorist group  
"UK working closely with India in tackling terrorism"  
China rejects US criticism on religious freedom  
Guam Radio Stations accidentally trigger emergency alert  
Three British men jailed, caned for sexual assault  
China, Pak partners of strategic cooperation: Wang  
Massive mudslide in Sierra Leone, over 200 dead  
Pak hoists 'largest' national flag to mark 70th I-Day  
Venezuela calls Trump's warning 'crazy act'  
Strong earthquake of magnitude 6.4 jolts Indonesia's Sumatra  
World's oldest man, a Holocaust survivor, dies at 113  
Satellite images show N Korea testing submarine missile  
Blast targeting military vehicle kills 15 people in Quetta  
China earthquake: Death toll rises to 24  
28 killed, 80 injured after two trains collide in Egypt  
 
Do you think conspiracy is going on to trap Senkumar in cases?
yes
 
no
 
don't know
 
 
 
Home Kerala India World Business Sports Sci&Tech Education Automobile CityNews Movies Environment Letters 
© Copyright keralakaumudi Online 2011  |  Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited.
Head Office Address: Kaumudi Buildings, Pettah P.O, Trivandrum - 695024, India.
Online queries talk to Deepu Sasidharan, + 91 98472 38959 or Email deepu[at]kaumudi.com
Customer Service -Advertisement Disclaimer Statement   |  Copyright Policy