Bookmark Kaumudi Online  Bookmark this site  Editor@Kaumudi  |  Marketing  Print Advt rates  |  Calendar 2018        Go!    
March 21, Wednesday 2018 6:51 AM       

       HEADLINES: C K Vineeth and Ian Hume unhappy about changing venue of India Vs WI ODI                                              Something fishy about KCA's decision to shift one-day match to Kochi: Tharoor                                              It is not birds but vultures who are striking at Keezhattur: G Sudhakaran                                              Missing foreign woman: Relatives announces reward                                              T R Chandradath passes away                                              I had been saying all 39 others were dead: Lone survivor Harjit Masih                                              Rajinikanth rebuffs reports of connection with BJP                                              Can’t declare anyone as dead without proof: Sushma Swaraj                                              US school shooting: Gunman dies after being shot in Maryland                                              Cricket betting racket busted, 4 held                                              ICC WC Qualifiers: Samuels guides Windies to thumping win over Zimbabwe                                              BCCI confirms Shami stayed in Dubai hotel for 2 days                                              Kaumudi Facebook
       INDIA Next Article: Partially paralysed man seeks permission for euthanasia  
       Sujoy Ghosh resigns as head Jury of IFFI after I&B ministry drops 'S Durga', 'Nude'
         Posted on :14:40:05 Nov 14, 2017
       Last edited on:17:05:39 Nov 14, 2017
         Tags: Sujoy Ghosh resigns, S Durga, Nude, IFFI

MUMBAI: Filmmaker Sujoy Ghosh says he has resigned as head of the jury of IFFI's Indian Panorama section following the controversy over the removal of two films from the final selection.

Overruling the recommendation of the 13-member jury, the information and broadcasting ministry pulled out Malayalam movie ‘S Durga’ and Marathi film ‘Nude’ from the 48th edition of the film festival, to be held in Goa from November 20 to 28.

Asked if he has resigned as jury head in the wake of the controversy, Ghosh told PTI, "Yes, but I can’t say anything more than that right now."

Several jury members expressed their displeasure over the ministry's move to drop the films from the list they submitted. It was an unprecedented move, a jury member said on the condition of anonymity.

The jury submitted its list to the ministry on September 20-21, but the line-up was made public only recently and without the name of the two films, a member disclosed.

The ministry did not respond to the reports.

‘S Durga’, which was earlier titled ‘Sexy Durga’, is a road movie that follows the horrifying experience of two hitchhikers, a man and a woman, at the hands of two men. It won the Hivos Tiger Award in the International Film Festival Rotterdam 2017.

‘Nude’ depicts the struggle of a woman secretly working as a nude model in Mumbai.

Both directors told PTI they were shocked and disappointed by the ministry's decision.

‘S Durga’ director Sanal Kumar Sasidharan said he would approach the court after this "clever move" by the ministry.

"They are supposed to publish the list two-three weeks before the festival begins but they delayed it on purpose," he said.

‘Nude’ director Ravi Jadhav was equally upset.

"Give me some reason at least. It was selected as the opening film. It was a big honour. I am really disappointed and shocked to hear that it has been dropped," he said.

Next Article: Partially paralysed man seeks permission for euthanasia
JNU professor accused of sexual harassment granted bail  
Can’t declare anyone as dead without proof: Sushma Swaraj  
BCom students get compulsory questions on Modi’s policies  
Goa Congress chief quits, says "inspired" by Rahul Gandhi's speech  
Rajinikanth rebuffs reports of connection with BJP  
Rahul Gandhi takes on BJP for waiving loans of the rich  
Swaraj denies harassment of lone survivor from Iraq  
No rules changed for railway job aspirants, says Fadnavis  
Surat: 3 held for attempting to derail train  
I had been saying all 39 others were dead: Lone survivor Harjit Masih  
JNU dean files FIR against students alleging assault  
Class 9 student threatens to rape, throw acid on classmate  
Stalin urges TN govt. to stop Ram Rajya Rath Yatra  
Sasikala granted 15-day bail for husband's funeral  
39 Indians missing in Iraq killed: EAM  
VK Sasikala's husband passes away at 75  
Intimidation of Indian High Commission officials in Pak goes unabated  
Kejriwal apologises to Kapil Sibal  
SC notice to Talwars in Aarushi murder case  
Kejriwal expresses 'regret' to Gadkari over statements  
Lalu Prasad Yadav pronounced guilty in fourth fodder scam case  
Banchhada, community that celebrates birth of girls, but sadly for flesh trade  
Raj Thackeray critises Sridevi's state funeral  
LS, RS disrupted, protests continue  
TDP, YSR Congress to push for no-confidence motion in Parliament Monday  
Can there be conspiracy behind the move to shift India-West Indies one-day cricket match from Thiruvananthapuram to Kochi?
No opinion
Home Kerala India World Business Sports Sci&Tech Education Automobile CityNews Movies Environment Letters 
© Copyright keralakaumudi Online 2011  |  Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited.
Head Office Address: Kaumudi Buildings, Pettah P.O, Trivandrum - 695024, India.
Online queries talk to Deepu Sasidharan, + 91 98472 38959 or Email deepu[at]
Customer Service -Advertisement Disclaimer Statement   |  Copyright Policy